Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Friends That Have Been

Occasionally on the road of life, you get a chance to stop and realize just how far you have travelled and how much of an impact you have made. Recently I have seen one of my high school sweethearts walking into a Walmart, this time as a weary mother of three. I have had the opportunity of seeing a camper I helped accept Christ become a my old church's youth director and worship leader. All these memories have been flooding back to me at once, proving that only the fond memories truly last.

Tonight I was searching for some printed design work I had made while at Wood Heat (for a proposal) and instead found mounds of papers from my past. I found hundreds of cards, celebrating my life events in physical form. A "computer generated" birthday card from elementary school, high school graduation, my 21st birthday and various Valentines card from sweethearts past (and present).

I have also found hundreds of letters and read some of them. From Angi, Amber, Amy, Amanda, Becca, Megan, Jill, Brinton, Kris, Dan, Tessa, Lindsay, Jenn, Jaime among others. Reading them now I have some hindsight... did she like me? I never saw it back then... Is that what he meant, interesting. I read letters from girls (mostly) that have a sincere heart for God. I have found addresses and phone numbers on scrap pieces of paper ripped from envelopes. Names read that bring glowing faces to mind and warm feelings of youth -- and occasionally references to fond could-have-beens that never grew into life relationships.

My ten year high school reunion is coming up in November and I honestly can't wait. I hope to see some of these people again, especially Paul McCambridge and Jenn Voros. But most of the people I want to see worked at Camp Men-O-Lan and I'm afraid I may need to wait until Heaven to see them again. It makes me want to try to find them and contact them and see how they are. What would I say? To some, encouragement; to others not much except memories; to a few, I'm sorry for what I did. Maybe one day I'll read these letters and type what I would like to say if I ever meet these folks again. Maybe Google will index their name and they will one day see my blog and know what I meant to say long ago.

In closing, all this reflection has brought me to a new appreciation for current friendships and for family. It makes me understand the fragility of "keeping in touch" and how easy it is to forget. It makes me want to reach out more and move beyond myself. I want to strive to regain that which time has stolen. And above all it makes me want to work harder on my current relationships to leave no good word unspoken. Here's to you old friends....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home