Saturday, March 04, 2006

Capturing the Spirit

Today we spent the entire day setting up the stage at church to record worship live. So Jaime and I headed off to Dales Drum Shop to buy some drum mics. I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but obviously its not for the congregation to hear, but so we can record. (In case I haven't mentioned it, our worship team is trying to produce a CD.)

So we bought a 7-piece Nady mic kit, 7 20' mic cables and some mic clips. The we were off to the Guitar Center to hook up with Fran and Brandon. We got to the guitar center and were looking at a mixer. Drum mics take a ton of channels on a sound board (I was anticipating 8) and Brandon's board can't record that many with all the other equipment we were recording live. Luckily, we found out that Brandon had a 17 channel Mackie just sitting around. Awesome! So we were good to go.

Well, needless to say we rearranged the stage to get as little sound bleeding as possible. My drum kit and I are now on the far left side of the stage, and everyone else on the right. It was a struggle to set up all this equipment and we had many technical difficulties. Jaime and I had to go back to the music store for other stuff that didn't work, etc.

Well, this was wasn't supposed to take this long really. We were running out of mic cables and we had previously determined a mic cable we just bought was bad. Brandon swore that it didn't work. We had plans to just take it back. But then I said... "Hey! Did we pray over it?".

Now normally I'm not a big praying type, but I have seen this work. A few years back I worked maintainance at a Christian Camp and we were using a Farmall A tractor. It broke down and we needed it to get our work done that day. So, we laid hands on it and prayed. Sure enough it started and it ran great all day. We parked it and the head maintanance guy took a look at it. After reviewing why the tractor wouldn't start, he looked at us with a confused and shocked look and asked "You guys used this today?". We said "Yeah, all day no problems". To this he answered... "Well, because the fuel line is servered". Whoa.

So from that point I believed in praying over inanimate objects.

So Jaime and I did just that. I plugged it in with a faith that could move a small mound. Sure enough it worked! So, take that however you find it.

So, we have everything setup. There's once thing I can say... its hard to capture the Spirit. We made a CD in the studio, but God doesn't show up when you manufacture music. God shows up when His people worship. So, in essense, we are trying to capture the very spirit of God moving. That's difficult.

So that's all I have to say. We will see how recording goes!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Hey Jas!

Yeah. That was amazing when you prayed over that cord!!
I am really excited to see what the Lord has in store for the worship team this year!! I pray that the recording turns out well and even though it is a demo CD, ministers to people and the transparency of true authentic worship is evident.

Bran

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home